Even with consistent brushing and flossing, your teeth can grow yellow and stained over time. That’s because several factors can take a toll on your teeth, ranging from the natural aging process to the foods and beverages you consume on a regular basis. Fortunately, it’s easy to restore the bright luster to your smile thanks to advancements in teeth whitening products.
At Haider Family Dentistry in Salem, Oregon, Jeremy Haider, DMD, offers professional-grade whitening kits that you can use at home to get a stunning smile. But once you get your great smile, then what?
In this blog, Dr. Haider discusses why teeth get stained, how you can whiten them, and how you can keep them looking great after you’ve whitened them.
Why teeth get stained
It’s hard to believe, but your teeth are porous, just like your skin. Because of that, over time, your teeth can grow discolored from the foods and beverages you consume. Some of the substances that can stain your teeth include the following:
- Red wine, coffee, and tea
- Food and beverages colored with food coloring
- Carbonated beverages and sodas
- Tomato sauce and tomato-based foods
- Candy and chocolate
Other substances, such as tobacco stains from smoking, can also speed up the yellowing process.
At-home teeth whitening
At Haider Family Dentistry, Dr. Haider offers the proven results of professional teeth whitening in convenient bleaching systems you can use at home. Your bleaching trays are made from impressions of your teeth, so they will fit exactly.
You will wear the bleaching trays for 30-60 minutes a day for a predetermined number of days. As you wear them, your teeth will gradually get whiter until they get to the shade you desire.
Keeping your teeth whiter for longer
To keep your teeth bright for as long as possible after whitening them, Dr. Haider recommends:
- Brushing and flossing regularly
- Switching from coffee or black tea to white or green tea
- Avoiding foods and beverages high in pigments and tannins, such as berries and wine
- Avoiding highly acidic beverages and foods, such as citrus and tomatoes
- Avoiding dark and light sodas
- Quitting smoking
- Using a whitening toothpaste at home
- Getting professional cleanings at least twice a year
Dr. Haider can also outline a personalized treatment strategy to help you maintain your brighter smile with your at-home whitening system.
If you want to get the smile of your dreams, book an appointment online or over the phone with Haider Family Dentistry today.